Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Rolling Along On The Prairie


OK, I've learned my lesson again. I say again because I definitely remember vowing to write my entries in the past as drafts in text edit first so that I don't lose four paragraphs at a time like last night just because the blog won't save or publish. Sometimes it's just a function of the conditions where you are at the time. This time I'm sure it's because of the full starter disc problem. I'm living on borrowed time. But the ever helpful morning attendant at the park in Medicine Hat (called Gas City Campground) suggested that I wait one more driving day to move my photos over to the external disc after he heard that I had found three pages of explanation on Google, one of them from Apple. He didn't want me to spend the $40 they would have charged me at the Computer store for a half hour of help. We'll see if that turns out to be right. But he was so earnest with his advice and overflowing with places I should visit when I get to the east coast. Much to do about Niagara Falls and Nova Scotia and all sorts of other places I should see.

Soooo, I am in Saskatchewan in a town called Swiftwater (I think water). Heavily agricultural/industrial. Many huge farm machine outfits. I've always said I'd like to drive across the country instead of fly so that I could see what lies in between all the main places. Well, I'm seeing the "in betweens today." This is definitely prairie country. Really makes your mind travel back to those early people and their decisions to settle in this or that place.  Then I began thinking, well, that's a beautiful little spot but where would the kids go to school? Or who would they play with or go out with ……….  or marry? You know I'm not a huge fan of cities except to hear music and see art and I'm trying to avoid them on this trip, but those questions must have eventually run through their minds. In many ways, people need people. It gets you thinking.

I have no taste for trying to repeat last night's lost paragraphs, but they were mostly about the places I went to to solve my problems. First the huge RV outlet and repair. They were very helpful and cheerful. But it seems that the broken part for the door would have to come from Vancouver and would cost $240. just for the part. So I just keep crawling over the passenger seat, possibly until Winnipeg or Toronto or who knows. Part of last night's entry was about the size of the new RVs. They are not to be believed. Most of them are just monstrous in a kind of Cadillac manner. Super  shiny, thousands of exterior compartments and more often than not, joined to a city car for wandering. That makes a long rig. But there was a shiny, old style silver one possibly a very custom Airstream, in the park that must have been fifty feet long at least. They had a car also. But it was like beautiful architecture. You had to love it even if you didn't approve of it. I had decided that this morning I'd get a picture of it, but when I opened my door, it was gone. 

I'm having my late lunch meal of the day here in Swiftwater in a classic old style lunch room which joins the local bus station. Very clean and tidy. The floor had just been mopped (no sign telling me to watch it). Cabbage and sausage soup and a Ceasar salad. Then I'll have my  dinner in the Rialta. Some veggies, hummus, strawberries and an orange.  Since I'm not getting the exercise I'm used to I'm better having my main meal mid-day.

It's hazy looking out there which doesn't help the sleep inducing tendency of the late afternoon. I'll take a large coffee to go and see how far I get looking out over the "in between land." Thinking about all of you and loving you.

CORRECTIONS AND ADD-ONS FOR TODAY:
I had a feeling that Swiftwater wasn't quite right. It was Swift Current. Sorry Art, if you've already tried to look it up.
I've just landed at the Prairie Oasis Complex. RV camp, rooms, all the wash facilities, playground, pool and much more I think. Just saw a nice big orange cat. Wait 'till Bobby sees him! And all for less than I paid the last two nights in Medicine Hat. I'm just outside of Moose Jaw. There's another one to look up. I haven't been able to find a brochure yet, but I'll find something. This is a very nice camp and it looks like it's almost full. My IPod is playing flute music by a man named Travis Terry. It's called Echoes Of The Canyon Wall. I heard him at a campfire at Canyon de Chelly. Remember that JP and Yael? More later. Oh also, Thanks so much Merna for commenting . And now, I've just heard from Steve. How good can life get? It was so good to hear from you both. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom,
    Wonderful entries I am getting caught up on after the long weekend at Echo - quite smoky at times which kept the lake quiet, but also clear when the westerlies kicked in. The cabin is in good shape - I did a bit more mouse-proofing and finished up the new solar system - the fridge even works fine on electric power - no flamo needed! Tom will pull out the boat this week.
    I am envious of your nice tour through Banff/ Lake Louise - I was there at the lodge for two nights 15 years ago for work and would love to get back. We'd originally planned the possibility of our honeymoon there but the weather wasn't cooperative. I think a family train trip through the region should be planned for all of us!
    Sorry to hear of the driver door and mac issues. An appointment at the Genius Bar at an Apple store would probably solve it, but now that you are Eastward from Calgary I am uncertain when you will have access to an Apple store.
    Do you have the Garmin GPS to help you navigate?
    Left you a voice mail this weekend but am uncertain whether you are able to retrieve them from across the border.
    Keep up the great entries and I look forward to seeing more photos.

    Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve, So good to hear from you also. These are my first two comments. So nice to get them when I'm so far away. Echo sounds good. Sometimes sorry I can't be two places at once. I am becoming happier and happier that I resolved to take this trip. I'm learning so much about myself and my aesthetics and much more. The places I land are all interesting in one way or another. A train trip would be fun ..... but possibly much more expensive than a car/van trip. Let's talk. I'd be up for either. I have an offer from the other commenter, Merna, that her husband might be able to help me soon. We'll see. I'm sure from what I've Googled that it can be solved. It's just a little (lot) scary because of the fear of losing all my photos. They mean so much to me. Write again, OK? xoxox Mom

      Delete