Sunday, September 29, 2013

New York and PA take the prize for amazing reds


A view of the main entrance to the Dia Museum


This lawn provides an occasional glimpse of the Hudson River 


A lovely vista from the west end of the Dia Museum




Bobby and the Rialta patiently waiting


Bobby waiting for his chance to walk in the gardens of the Beacon Dia Museum

I didn't think it could get any better than the reds I saw in New Your mountains but then came PA. More crazy quilt contrast back and forth with the greens. That contrast is so powerful. Anyway, I again thought I should have a bad neck ache from trying to look in both directions and being sad at the same time that my camera conked out again just when the best was before me. I wonder how much of this my poor brain can store. Doesn't matter. I've had color thrills of a lifetime and I'm sure I won't forget a huge part of.

I seem not to have told you anything about my visit to the Dia Museum in Beacon, New York as I got my first glimpse of the Hudson River. Jenny had told me this museum was a must see and she was right. I was planning on going on down to West Point but because I was running late I opted to spend the afternoon at this remarkable museum. It has galleries on a monumental scale. One or them was devoted to Agnes Martin and one to Andy Warhol and another to Blinky Palermo. These are only a few in this gigantic site. I only had time to take a good look at the main floor, it is so vast. You could spend days there. All very thought provoking and some quite powerful. I couldn't help wonder what Joseph Albers would have had to say about this current collection. There was so much related to color juxtaposition. He was right. It often does mean everything. I'm so happy Jenny directed me there. No photos allowed inside but I took a few in the garden to bring back memories. Shortly after, my camera failed me again.

My directions worked and I made it to Oberlin, Ohio in time to have a great dinner with Leah and a look around. So good to see her. We had brunch this morning and then parted reluctantly. I crossed over into Indiana at about 5:30 this afternoon and hope to be in the area south of where Route 66 begins by late tomorrow. Because I lost so much time trying to deal with the broken latches, only time will tell how long I can stick with the plan, but I'll try. I marked up my new atlas that Leah and I found in Oberlin with a yellow highlighter and I'll work some more on it tomorrow. It's really difficult to find the 66s on the map in some areas. It may take some creativity. I'll also try to find a good visitors' center when I enter the next state. Those places are a great resource. They are usually so forthcoming and they are quite knowledgable. 


Did I tell you about Steve's link to the Google map with pins on it for all the stops on my trip. Kind of fun to see it that way Thanks, Steve.
 http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?vps=2&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=213579863156476068408.0004e70653a0b8858928b  I have a hunch I've included more than is needed. Can you straighten us out, Steve?


OK. I wanted to let you know that Bobby and I are fine and we'll try to report in again tomorrow. I can't wait to share some more pictures with you but it just isn't happening quite yet. Patience.
Love to all,   Jackie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mom, the countryside sounds wonderful - looking forward to seeing photos. One thought - if your camera battery is dead, you might get some good shots from your cell phone camera. During daylight a newer iphone camera is as good or better than most compact cameras.
    The map link you have above seems fine - at least it worked for me - let me know if you are hearing of anyone having difficulty accessing the map.
    Great that you got time with Leah and to see Oberlin.
    Onward to the West! Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, Thankss for all the good advice. Kathy thinks I should be using my phone also. Somehow this substitute phone I have doesn't seem to have its camera working right either. What I bought had a good one and Siri also. This is a grade below and not worth much. Love, Mom

      Delete