Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I'm finally on Cape Breton


View from Point Hood campground


Our campsite at Cape Breton toward the back

I crossed over the causeway to Cape Breton yesterday at 5:00. What a heavenly feeling. It's a magical place, partly I'm sure, because I've longed to see it for so long now, and partly because it's everything I relate to totally. I'm camped at a park right on the edge of the water in Port Hood. I bought gas in Judique where the center for Celtic music is located. Today I'm going to drive the Cabot Trail.  Just suffice it to say "I love it here."

Yesterday I left Port (not Fort) Elgin after a very comfortable night at the "Indian Point Motel" and a wonderful encounter with the owner of the local all purpose gas station and convenience store.  We clicked instantly and will enjoy a long distance friendship I'm sure. Thank you Kathy, for all your special help during that brief visit. And good luck with everything. As I drove along highway 19 after only a few minutes in Cape Breton, I saw a huge billboard on the headlands side of the road that said, "Life is a lovely choice." That says it all. And it particularly makes me think of Kathy in Elgin and Martha in Washington. — Both great appreciators of life in all its forms. I celebrate you both.

Before reaching Cape Breton I drove to the Nova Scotia border and experienced the most amazing Visitor Center I've ever been to. I took some pictures but they're not available yet. Maybe tomorrow morning,. Kathy, remember the photo you did of the Berkeley Rose Gardens? Well this center has an arbor arcing around part of its grounds that brought you photo back so clearly to my mind. And inside: Well, I couldn't believe my eyes,. A gift store, of course. Restrooms, cases, labeled by area names in Nova Scotia. Full of brochures and maps. Perhaps eight different general areas represented. Then — Several people sitting at Computers, ready to look up anything for you. The young man I worked with had been in Fort Bragg and particularly loved Glass Beach. What a small world.

Today I'm driving the Cabot Trail and this evening I'm going to hear some Celtic Music. Thinking of you, Leah. Wish you could be here with me, but I'll see you soon. Bobby says hi. He's doing famously and such a good sport. The manager of this camp said he could run free. What a joy to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment