Saturday, September 7, 2013

From Apple to Walmart in Winnipeg


This is being sent (I hope) the next morning at a lovely rest stop about a half hour east of Winnipeg with  the help of my little Verizon gizmo. No real copy editing because I'm worried that my time will run out. So far, It won't send......I'm trying again from the town of Dryden in Ontario at a campground just east of town. Wish good luck.

Friday afternoon:
I am sitting in an Apple store in Winnipeg.  Happiness is! Minor problem ….I left my reading glasses in the car and I'm afraid to leave in case they call my name. I just seem to have to do it the hard way. But hey — They set me up at a genius table and I'm hearing all sorts of good advice to other people. Happily,  I'm  a well practiced, should say hopeless eavesdropper to begin with. This store has more genius guys and gals than any Apple store I've been in. They have me sitting at one of the genius tables while they're trying to find a time spot for me. People are sent to the tables for their appointments and then the genius comes up and says, " Hi, I'm Jeff, What can I do for you?" I'm hearing more IPhone questions than anything else. I'm also trying to write this,  but as I said, I left my close-up glasses in the car and I don't want to chance leaving.  

Across the room there is a beautiful young mom with her four or six year old gorgeous child jauntily sitting on one of the stools. He's ( she, I can't see) is just whacking away at an IPad. And Mom is trying to do the same. Boy, it starts early these days. I'd love to be able to sit across from them and listen in.  Like I say, Im hopelessly interested in other people's conversations. Especially in a place like this.

You're getting a blow by blow account here, you know. One genius just got my Iphoto copying onto my passport external disc and another one sold me another passport to use for Time Machine and told me how to access it and set it up. If I get "Nelson", the first genius, back to finish up my removal of the pics from my internal drive, I've got it made. Not quite there yet but I'm definitely hopeful. And in-between, as you can see I just keep punching away on a Text Edit draft for this entry. Sorry about the no close-up glasses. I'll try to do some copy editing when I can see again. At this rate I might be able to transfer my pics from the camera and be back to normal within a day or two. We'll see.               

I  drove back to the other end of town, thinking erroneously that I would be closer to the leaving town direction. It was almost  7:00 and I drove to the same mall I had been to earlier for advice re/MacAir. I wanted to buy Bobby something really nice for being such a good and patient little guy that day. Did the buying as well as my salad provisions and hunted around for a glass bowl that would cook my morning rolled oats (hear that, Art?) and fruit without boiling over in the microwave. I just finished up my Margaret Fox granola from Harvest. I found the right bowl in a bargain/thrift store and as I walked out of it I saw a camp trailer pulling into the middle of the parking lot in front of Walmart. The only time I've ever bought anything from a Walmart was in Puerto Vallarta where I had to buy a bus ticket to Mexico City. It's sort of a thing for me. But I found myself thinking of all my friends (Elaine, Eric and others) who suggested such an overnight as a great way to save money as well as find a safe haven. Long and short, I decided to do it. I parked in an area near a rig similar to my size and one twice as big. Walking on the grassy border convinced Bobby it was a good idea. 

After dark I was thinking of going to bed when I noticed that both front windows were partially open. Well, I don't think so, on my first night at Walmart. I got out and did my obligatory bounce from the passenger seat to the driver's in order to start the motor — a silly necessity for opening or closing windows. So there I am, about to get out and return to the house. All of a sudden there is an event going on. Out of the blue come five cars from at least three different directions   ……fast  …..showing off like crazy. Then they all park in a line not far from the big motor house. And with a front seat for me to see what's going on. I'd say, all under 20, boys full of themselves. The shortest one is hauling a skate board as he gets out of the car. Then they just hang out alternately as the kid with the board entertains them with some    pretty spectacular stunts.  They joust, change positions, and lean on several of the cars and obviously tell a few good jokes judging by the uproar.  All looked quite innocent but I remained in the driver's seat 'till the show was over. Being the "careful" person that I am (Kathy) I didn't want even this little gang of good boys seeing me alone out there  going from the front to the back. Eventually I actually did my first practice move from front to back between the seats without going outside at all. Mission accomplished. I had learned something I needed to know about that little move. I also had the feeling that I had just witnessed a "Mini- North Side  Story,"  put on for my benefit. It was a hoot and I had the best night sleep yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment