Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Out of confinement


Bobby enjoying the bed in Anne's inviting guest room


This was my salad today — Featuring salmon and breaded okra


Anne and Carla


Jackie and Bobby relaxing in Anne's lovely home

            Check out earlier posts. I have finally been able to add some new photos of the trip.

No wonder my children are practically ready to adopt Anne, my new Oklahoma City friend formerly referred to as "A." Kathy has invited her to come and stay in Trinidad any time. Thanks, Kath. There is no end of generosity to this busy lady.  She's off to court, them to the motel to pick up Bobby and me so that we can live with her for the next three nights. Then we're meeting a lovely colleague at a cafe with very tasty and nicely presented food. That was yummy and I owe thanks to Carla who insisted on treating us to lunch. What more can I say about this Oklahoma City hospitality. Yesterday Anne and Linda took me for Thai food and Linda treated. I'm having a hard time paying for anything since the first night at the Mexican restaurant where I was thankfully a little quicker on the draw.

Anne and I took one of her Irish wolf hounds and Bobby for a trial walk down the street together. I was amazed. It worked and the two of them spent time in their back yard while we were at lunch. Bobby somehow did one of his famous escapes and when we drove up onto the driveway, he cheerfully ran to us from the direction of the back yard. Little scamp. But he is smart enough to stay close bye. For sure a little worrisome, however. We haven't tried to bring Bobby and Anne's older male wolfhound together. I'm not so optimistic about what that outcome might be. As Anne says, Bobby just doesn't know when to roll over. Maybe we'll postpone that meeting.

The Aamco shop called with perhaps the final estimate for price and ETA. Price for the transmission rebuild and a lube job: About $5200. They seem very earnest about not letting me go until they are certain that I will have a safe and successful trip back to California. The ETA is currently some time Saturday, hopefully morning. This means that I have essentially lost another nine days. It's going to be a close one and there is nothing I can do about it. 

I also am beginning to try to psych myself into feeling some enthusiasm for getting back on that highway. Anne tells me I have seen the worst on the Tulsa/Oklahoma City turnpike. I hope she's right. Every day that goes by leaves me with less zeal for being on the road with those giants again. I'll definitely stick to the right lane for some time while I get my nerve back. As Anne says, It's a lot like needing to get back on the bike or the horse right away. But with my vehicle perched high up on that steel pillar, no chance. I'll just have to tough it out when it's ready.

Anne insisted that I leave the hotel today and come here to get away from the unfortunate Motel 6 situation. I couldn't be more grateful and hope she will show up on our coast one of these days soon so we can all show her the same hospitality and consideration she has showered on me. Kathy's right. She is an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment