Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Something Wonderful every Day

Kathy's and my classes are going swimmingly but I need to back up just a tad because I haven't shown you any pictures of the lovely theater where the Oaxaca Symphony took place last Friday. The theater is so charming and  spacious and yet incredibly intimate. I've never gone there without meeting someone I know. It's almost like going to Harvest Market. 






Oaxaca Symphony

One of the striking things about an evening in this theater, besides the excellence of the programs is the presence of so many children, both young and old, in the audience. Little ones eventually fall asleep in a parent's arms and some as young as eight or nine seem to stay awake and fully involved in the experience. It warms my heart to see these families sharing wonderful cultural events with each other. They all look so comfortable about it, as if is a perfectly normal part of life.

Moving away from night life, I have to share the source of endorphins for me today. When I first met Pati, my maestra for this year's classes, I made it very clear that I wanted to work on the use of and placement of objective  pronouns, both direct and indirect. And — that after we got that moving along, I wanted to take the plunge and learn about the Subjunctive mood. Well, today was the day when Pati decided it was time to begin. She gave me the   most nuanced introduction to the subject and went into such depth using such meaningful words and examples that I finished today's session totally convinced that it is worth it to find out what this lovely romance language is really about. I have been told and have read that many latin speakers use the subjunctive more than any other mode. I also find that practically no-one in the student population wants to have anything to do with it.  This makes me sad because I'd like to "talk it over" and share thoughts about it with others at my same stage of learning Spanish. It's going to require a lot of careful listening as well as memorizing a whole new set of conjugations. But I'm so hyped about it that it doesn't really worry me. So, wish me luck with this new venture. I'll keep you posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment