Thursday, February 4, 2016

Fun in Oaxaca


Introducing Kathy to "Arabia" Restaurant

Kathy and I arrived in Mexico Monday night after reasonably uneventful flights to Houston and then on to Oaxaca with one of those very rapid landings that came to a halt just when you'd have thought it couldn't. So all was well and I could breath again. The plane from Houston is not that big, so it should have been a quick journey into the main hall through customs and immigration. But somehow it wasn't, which isn't all that unusual either. By the time the collectivo delivered us to Hotel Las Mariposas, it was almost ten in the evening.  We were greeted enthusiastically and delivered to our tiny, tiny little room which, after various reservation snafus last year for this visit, I had agreed to. 

Turns out, it was really small and one climbed up to it by way of a corner stone staircase. Our suitcases just barely fit into the room at that moment and I have to admit to a slightly depressed feeling about the way I was introducing my darling daughter to Oaxaca for the first time. But, after we emptied our suitcases into a large armior, and tucked one of them behind a chair and the other up to the top of the armoir, I began to think it could work. Mind you, this is a wonderful hotel with some really nice sized and creatively designed rooms, but this little one was a bit outside the norm here. It has several little eccentricities that I will refrain from describing and we'll leave it at that. The next morning we opened the door which gave us a charming view out to  one of the many garden courtyards and I suddenly realized that all I cared about was being here and from that moment on, I was at peace with that precious little habitat. 

Kathy and I took care of banking, signing up at the Institute for three weeks of Spanish classes and walked to "Arabia," one of my favorite neighborhood eateries. Of course I had to introduce Kath to their succulent baguette with smoked salmon and a salad laced with citrus. We have to admit to succumbing to a cold mocha drink for dessert (see above) and proceeded to walk past the botanical gardens and up to Acala, the colorful walking street. There we fell in love with some hand made costume jewelry made by a group of gypsy craftsmen who sell their wares under canvas awnings and welcome you graciously to their booths, totally without pressuring you. They don't need to because they do such intriguing work. I bought "spider earrings" made of stainless steel and a few stones and walked away happily wearing them and feeling like I had truly returned to Oaxaca.

We expected to stay in the "tiny, tiny" room until February 19 when we will move into "my room," number 10. But by the second day, the lovely desk clerk arrived at our door to tell us that, due to a cancellation, we could move to another room if we cared to look at it. We did, and said yes of course. Then, during the evening of that day, the same lovely clerk appeared at the door of friends we were visiting with and quietly informed me that she had an even better place for us to settle into until our move to  number 10. So we are now happily enjoying a studio with kitchen and living area. It seems that this has been one of those times when it pays to just settle in and not complain while it  keeps getting better and better.  

We spent the early evening having a fiesta with friends from Teotitlan del Valle in our front courtyard. One by one Kathy is getting acquainted with friends here who are so dear to me. They've all welcomed her warmly and I think she's beginning to understand my love for this special place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment