Thursday, February 12, 2015

Sunday's Trip For Stone Soup


End of a Sunday outing


Site of after meal exploration


Friends Pat and Jim among those waiting patiently


Definitely a touch of roadside Oaxaca


Inserting the stones into the bowls 


Looks like a smokey place to work


Fires heating the stones while soups are being assembled


Awaiting the big event — Jesus at middle left


First stop of the trip — to see the park in the ravine

I spoke briefly of the trip we were to take on Sunday to a roadside establishment where they serve "stone soup."  It was an interesting trip. Our driver was super enthusiastic about showing us some of the sights before and after the soup eating event. So, just after we entered the main highway, he stopped and urged all of us to get out and get a peek at an interesting park which is in the city but definitely a bit secluded and out of the way. It is a deep ravine which has been turned into a park with handsome plantings, a lake, picnicking areas, possibly a skating area, etc. We were looking at it from the highway sidewalk but the entry is somewhere near a baseball field I hear.  Looks enticing but remote. I've included one of the two pics I took in the short time allowed.

On the way home, despite a possible vote against doing so, Jesus turned off to the right and took us up a steep hill to another site where there were two lakes, several crowded restaurants and many people enjoying a lovely Sunday "in the park." Several pics from this side tour also.

 The actual event at the "Caldo de Piedra" site was very interesting. The soup was not what I'd call spectacular, but the process definitely was. So I'm very glad I decided to go. We were all invited to go up to the area where there were two serious fireplaces glowing with impressive coals. Soups were being assembled in half shells and then hot, hot rocks were dropped into each bowl, causing the contents to bubble like mad. That was worth the whole trip. The soup contained a slim bit of veggies, four shrimps and one piece of white fish. My fish was loaded with bones but others said their's were not. So I was just the lucky one. Soup had a nice taste but was quite thin. I ate every bit of it.

I'll insert a few names on the extra locations in the excursion when I find the correct spellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment