Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Two Spanish Classes to Go!


Color and warmth abound


You can't beat this for color


The views at the Zocala are endlessly fascinating


What an athlete this one is


This girl had talent


Now I hear that this is a dove — That's more like it — Maybe an Inca Dove


This day looking up was so fascinating I ended with a really sore neck


Sometimes I sit and watch the birds even though I can't identify them


Always fun to sit and watch the dogs


Catching a band practice on the way home


A distant view through the park


The wonderful couple I buy sliced fruit and vegetables 
from on my way home from class


Los Danzantes filled with happy people


Pat Parsons enjoying her comida and 
spying what was yet to come


Jim Parsons finishing his after meal coffee drink
 and giving me a long list of books to read


Today's tuna curry comida at Los Danzantes

One month of Spanish class five times a week has been a stretch, a pleasure, a huge learning experience and oh, so much more. But I am ready to relax a bit before moving on to the Jalisco coast. Art arrives here Monday late in the evening and friends keep telling me they have found new places to look for birds. So there will be a whole different focus and no doubt a new learning curve for me. However, I intend to stay relaxed about my lack of skills at recognizing birds, either perched, in field, on water or in flight. They are all interesting to me and certainly beautiful. That will have to suffice while I build my skills, and I'm expecting to be tolerated by my birding friends, including Art. I can't get too serious about my lack of bird knowledge yet because every time I think I have one labeled, Jim informs me that my choice isn't quite right, and kindly explains why. I have to go back to the drawing board. Like the beginning of trying to learn a new language, it's necessary to spend some time in Kindergarten. That's just where I am at the moment.

We'll undoubtedly be covering some of the same territory that I do now, walking through Llanno Park to the Institute for class each day. I'd like to show Art all the places that I'm used to seeing every day in my routine and I will always treasure those minutes and hours spent in the embrace of Llano Park. I never tire of seeing similar scenes there. They are all like variations on a theme. Tomorrow is Friday market day which begins for me by walking right through the breakfast crowd eating the most gorgeous food at long relish covered tables with the mixed smell of salsa, sausage, eggs cooking and every wonderful thing you can imagine. I'm usually in a hurry to move on and make it to class in time. So therein lies one of the big differences between this last month and the pleasures of lingering to enjoy and savor all without rushing that I intend to experience and share. 

One thing that has become a prominent routine is to attend the "Comida" at Los Danzantes Restaurant on Calle Alcala at least once a week. It is one of the most relaxing, enjoyable eating experiences I can conceive of. I love just being in that creatively appointed space. And I find the many surprises associated with the food and its presentation a continually nourishing affair. The staff  is endlessly good natured, easy going and yet highly professional. Along with exquisitely creative cuisine, what more can one ask?

Mike, thanks for checking in. There have been a few days where wifi has been less than intermittent and I have also been preoccupied with Spanish class homework and several other necessary uses of my time. Please know that I'm fine and my cold symptoms are completely gone. I miss you all at the same time while I'm basking in my southern Latin Paradise. Oaxaca is a constantly enjoyable, educational, stimulating and generally satisfying place to be for a month or two. We had our first rain last night since I've been here. It began just as I, along with two friends, walked home from a movie that was shown in the beautiful old Opera/ Ballet/ Theater some blocks away from Hotel Las Mariposas. First a few drops as we walked, and then, as soon as we were tucked into our safe hotel grounds, a more and more vigorous rainstorm developed. I actually heard a few distant thunder claps. I left my door open to allow the fresh, clean air to make its way into my room. It was delicious. And in the morning, all rain was halted and the garden greenery looked shiny and clean and smelled heavenly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom. Happy Valentines Day! What a vibrant town. I've just returned from another Nigeria foray - all is well. Enjoy the coast. Love, Steve

    ReplyDelete