Monday, February 3, 2014

New teacher — Even more of a stretch


Lucia and I with two of the carpets Evelyn bought

I walked into my usual class this morning only to find out that my teacher was switched over to doing some private classes, and doing it in the room we used to meet at with her. So I packed up all my things again and moved one room over as we were eventually instructed to do. Only to find out that my new teacher is the younger sister of the previous one. From Mary Carmen to Angelica. They look exactly alike. Same eyes, same gesticulations, same timber to their voices. Both excellent teachers but maybe just a little less in the way of clues from this one as to what's coming next. Tomorrow will reveal a bit more I'm sure. It's probably really good for my learning curve to have this challenge. But I'm finding myself  in a heavily procrastinating mode. It's after nine and I haven't started my "tarea" yet. Doing this little post is the ultimate last attempt at not looking at what I should be doing right now. So, no doubt you can guess what I'm doing next. Finally. Wish I knew why I'm this way, but I don't really. I only know that I get a lot of things done toward the ultimate good in my everyday life while I'm doing the classic "putting it off,"  Excuse? Noooooo. But true.

 A man who just arrived at Las Mariposas with his wife late last night has been placed in my new class so there may be someone to consult with over homework at a later point. He and his wife were so exhausted after their late night/no food trip that I'm sure they both hit the sack the minute they got away from the Institute. He declared just as this first class with Angelica ended that  what we were doing today is exactly what he needs. Sounds like sleep or no sleep, he's hit his stride a bit sooner than I this week. I'll keep you posted. I'm sure Sylvia and Russ will have a thing or two to say about it if I don't get with the program.

I did make it to the nearby bank for my weekly dole though. For some reason I always feel a bit of anxiety over that chore also. But the bank says I still have some money so that's a comforting thought. As well as the fact that I know how the next meal will be financed. All these little things we take for granted when at home assume a different level of importance it seems when you're out on a trip even if you're doing a kind of long term stay. This is still a holiday in Mexico as was yesterday so there was lots of talk about the need for getting to the bank by sometime yesterday if you wanted to be sure that the ATM would still have the means to fund you. I took a chance on today after class and that little machine came through like a trooper. Good things do happen. 

After I filled my coffers with a new stash, I  went straight to Ke Ken, a favorite little ( really little) comida down the street from Mariposas. A woman came in soon who hails from Alberta, Canada. We struck up a conversation and she switched to a more comfortable place at my table and we had a great time pouring over every political woe we could think of and parted hoping to connect sometime soon. Life down here is like that almost constantly. Eating in Mexico is such a social affair.
Actually, it starts with the communal breakfast here and seems to lead from one encounter to another through the day. It's a fine way of life at least for a little while. I'm posting a picture from another early morning happening several times a week. The mother of last years office secretary comes from Teotitlan and either cooks an organic breakfast for us or comes with a pile of rugs woven by her and her family members. One of her rugs is in my downstairs hall and I'm eager to purchase one of her "bird" hangings or rugs for Art. But I'm afraid to do it until he gets here for fear that I'll make the wrong choice. We'll see. At any rate, she has a creative sense of color and I greatly admire her work. The photo I am posting is of her daughter and me holding a long runner bought at my urging by a couple from Minnesota. I received a rave notice about the choice and a jpg from the happy buyer. Sometimes things really work out. Now to that tarea.

No comments:

Post a Comment