Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sunday, June 16, 2013 - Only two more nights in Abruzzi

I'm still.struggling with trying to understand the working of the IPad with the blog tools. But I think I may have reached a breakthrough tonight. I just managed to add three pictures to my posting of June 13. I haven't figured out how to add captions yet but I'll give it a try. In the meantime, the pics just added to that post are of one of the sweet donkeys all saddled up for each of two sisters to take a little ride. The second is of our class with Holly and the third is of the lovely pond with it's many plants, frogs and trees.

        

                                  Jackie enjoying a day of working with her hands

The class is going well and the three of us are learning lots of good new aspects of transferring images to fabric as well as gleaning many good tips toward working with collage composition. One more full day of class and then Tuesday we're off to Rome for heading back to SFO on Friday. I want to say how sorry I am that I've been such a clutz trying to post entries in my usual fashion. When I decided to leave my little Mac Air home and give the IPad a try I had no idea the two devices were so different to work with. When I make the trip across Canada I'll definitely take the Mac, though I hope that by August I'll have a better handle on this little guy.

Friday we visited Averil Stuart Head's studio and home. She and her husband, Bruce, are the owners of Amore Tours, the tour company that sponsors Holly's class and the great tour we've been on. Averil and Bruce live part of the year in a small village several miles from the farm/conference center where we're staying. They have made a beautiful home in a small, two story building, brilliantly located on a small street that connects two large squares. Averil's studio space fills the first floor and their charming living space is upstairs. It's worth Googling Averil Stuart Head to see her work.

                                   
                                    

                                                              Averil in her studio
                         

                                        

                                             Holly having a great time looking at Averil's work

Yesterday we went to the big outdoor market in Sulmona. Very few non-locals and full of regional and Italian specialties. There is a dried and salted fish called Bacalla. I saw big piles of them and I hope I'll be able to find it in the Bay Area. On Morano Island, where the wondrous Venitian glass is produced, we were served a delicious spread for crackers or bread that was made with this dried white fish, milk and olive oil. If I find it, I'll make this for you at Taurus party time.

I must say that good Italian design was evident in this market at every turn. Some of the "stalls" were filled with tempting "Made in Italy" items, and the prices were amazingly reasonable. We bought  delicious cooked chicken, pork and the makings for salad and had a lovely lunch in the conference center garden here.

All of a sudden I'm very sleepy. So I'm off to bed, Love to all, Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment