Thursday, March 6, 2014

Happiness is a round house


Many good subjects along the river trail, but these top the list


The cheerful and peaceful atmosphere of the Oasis Restaurant


Happy to be at the Larochette's,  out of the airplane and the hustle and bustle of Vallarta 


Art enjoying the "fish of the day" at the Oasis restaurant

There is something about living in a round space that affects my spirits every time I experience it. I once helped run a textile program at Arcosanti called Haystack at Arcosanti. During my one month stint I lived in two round spaces as well as on the roof of the library where I could see lightning storms hundreds of miles away. That experience is etched in my memory bank and I realize that it's part of the reason I keep asking for number five at Hotel Lagunita in Yelapa. I think I need a yurt in my yard so I can recreate that feeling at will. It really does something for me that I can't quite put my finger on, but which is as real as anything I know. Kathy, you'll be pleased to know that #5 (The round #5) has had a complete sprucing up. The woven windows and wall sections have all been redone and there is a new front door. A brand new toilet and regrouting or cement brushing is in evidence throughout the room. Might not overwhelm you if you were here for the first time, but quite a spiffy re-do if you've been coming to the same room  for years.

Art and I stayed with Jean Pierre and Yael for two nights before coming to Yelapa. Time whizzed by with a breakfast at Mario's on the Plaza and a fantastic lunch conjured up by Yael for us, Pat, Bonny and Carlos. What a joy to see those lovely old friends and have a long and relaxed and conversation rich, late lunch with them. The day's plan included lunch on the porch at the Larochette's followed by a short rest, and before we knew it, Pat was calling to tell us that the birds were out in full force at Rancho Primavera. We rushed out there and saw incredible birds at the main house and then drove to the adobe overlooking the pond where we saw a ton of birds. My expectation was that we'd show Art the exciting event I had grown used to in previous years. At about 6:00 or a little later all the Cattle Egrits, some Cormerants, a few ducks and a Heron or two would always come swooping in on the pond and the Egrits would fight over that night's place to roost in one of two trees overlooking the  inlet of a small stream  which enters the pond at the eastern end. Well, time moves on and the routine seems to have changed completely. No big Egrit battle for limbs and branches but just about every other possible thrill more than made up for it. We saw a troop of Ibis, at least eight Black bellied whistling ducks, Nightherons, Egrits, Cormerants, a Ring Kingfisher, Green Kingfisher and more.  A Magpie Jay, Night Herons, a Military McGaw and others whose names escape me at the moment blessed us with their presence while we were at Pat's house. All in all an amazing bird experience for me. We were joined at Pat's and at the adobe by a visiting birder and tour leader from Bend, Oregon.

We arrived in Yelapa yesterday mid-day and settled into #5 after it was finally vacated and cleaned. This morning I took Art for a walk up the main river trail to the foot bridge where Art insisted that we  go up river for just a little while even though we have a walk planned for there tomorrow.  When we finally turned around and went toward the village, we began seeing birds everywhere.  On the way in, we heard a sound we first thought was from a construction site, but I finally decided it was coming from a stand of giant bamboo-like stalks. We looked up and, Wow! It turned out to be a Pale billed Woodpecker who was working overtime and making a huge racket. When we reached the village dock and sat down to observe the carnival of shore birds in the harbor, we saw different gulls, pelicans, Terns, huge winged Frigate birds and much more. We stopped for an orange juice on the way back to the Oasis Restaurant where we planned to have dinner, and when I looked up in a tree overhanging the stream that comes down from the village waterfall,  I saw three birds that looked and acted a little like chickens, the way they were walking along a high, horizontal branch. Art thought for  barely a moment and said they might be an unusual bird with a name I also can't remember but which I will insert when I feel I can disturb the authority, who is working at trying to maneuver his way around his new IPad. We reached the Oasis and saw at least thirty Black Vultures and a troop of Ibis marching along a sand bar next to the river. Before we left, the waiter told us there were more of the chicken like bird whose name escapes me and then a huge flock of green parots flew into the tree in front of the restaurant. We watched them, inthralled at their chatter and movement, when, all of a sudden they flew off in a marvelous, spiraling movement in unison and were gone. What a great way to finish our first day in Yelapa. More to come, I'm sure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment