Monday, February 6, 2012

Monday, February 6, 2012 — First day of last week here


First day of last week in Spanish class —


Saturday I walked a lot all over Oaxaca. I delivered a fourth item of clothing to a small neighborhood alterations business. One woman does all the measuring as three seamstresses are working away at their machines. I don't mind wearing baggy clothes up to a point. But a few things that I'd like to keep, I decided to have taken in a bit. The "Flax" pants and jacket that Sachiyo and Nami gave me last summer are so comfortable and "lineny", I'd like to keep them going. Time will tell how that all works out.


I'm sitting outside in the courtyard at almost nine in the evening. Only a few paces away a couple who volunteer for a village school each year are talking in their room to their grandchildren. Obviously on Skype. The oohs and aws over what they're being shown are fun to hear. The grandma just asked about some music and then broke into a sweet rendition of Twinkle twinkle little star. The kids sound adorable and it makes me miss everyone.


I started my fourth and last week of classes at the Institute today and received a message that my intercambio partner was detained and couldn't make it. So, after the outdoor conversation hour with my class, I wandered over to "Marco Polo," a restaurant that has been highly touted by some of the Mariposa dwellers. Had a fish filet with lots of garlic and, I'm afraid a fair amount of butter. The fish was good but the rest of the meal which included iceberg lettuce, was only so so. Back tonight to "100% Natural" for a small dish of roasted veggies and fruit plate. Much better! They also make marvelous veggie drinks, sometimes combined with a little fruit. Had the one made partly with beets. Gorgeous color!


I sat in the restaurant which has a stirling view of the Llano Park across the street. I was intrigued by all the action there as usual — even after 8:00. As I left, I couldn't resist crossing over and doing a short walk around one of the fountains, past the many "bench lovers" and a few little ones still commandeering their great miniature mechanical and battery driven cars. What a scene. This morning as I passed through the same area of the park, a mother was "racing" her 7 year old across the plaza and back to a father and sibling siting on one of the stone retaining walls. Mama turned and jogged away again but the little one called it a day. So many people use this park for exercise. It's very impressive to see so much running in the morning and the evening in this whole neighborhood. Fitness is definitely big here and people look quite healthy. Because I can't do my usual swimming here, I'm trying to be good about doing the Canadian Air Force exercises in the morning and evening. Don't really feel like it sometimes, but I certainly can tell the difference in how easy it is to walk considerable distances. Also notice how much better my back feels this year. I've always felt good, but now is definitely better.


The weather here has been a very mixed bag the last few days. Big rain yesterday afternoon. A gully washer. But I noticed that ten minutes after it stopped, the sidewalk was absolutely dry. Altitude and dry air has its effect in a hurry. So refreshing and peaceful after it stops and the thunder comes to an end. I'm not much of a city person any more, but this city is fabulous for me in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment